Friday, March 5, 2010

Some people...just don't deserve the attention they get.

But in some cases, attention is the one thing they need.

I'm talking, of course, about Michael and Debi Pearl, two horrible excuses for human beings who profit off of the abuse of children.

www.nogreaterjoy.org

They sugarcoat it, and glorify it, but at its core is an extremely literal application of the Bible--that is, using "the Rod" to "guide" children.

The Rod, of course, is a symbol of authority. "Guiding", in this case, means behavior modification--swatting and smacking children for even the most minor of transgressions, and sometimes no transgression at all.

Michael Pearl's practices have directly led to the deaths of not one, but TWO children.

http://www.salon.com/life/feature/2010/02/22/no_greater_joy/index.html

Many other links can be found in that very article that serve purpose there far better than I could make them.

Spread the word. Make these people known. Show them that they only get their fortunes because the people they sell their books to are young, naive, and simply too stupid to raise a child themselves!

Quarter-inch PVC pipes and branches from bushes are NOT proper tools with which to "guide" children! It is NEVER okay to hit a baby for crying, and raising a child is NOT about the parents' comfort or desires!

www.stoptherod.net

Mordric is out.

Peace.

5 comments:

Ravenheart said...

This goes beyond child abuse. Don't get me wrong - their ideas on childrearing are deplorable. I can see how there's small things here and there that make sense, how a parent could get pulled in by those ... but I fail to see how ANY parent could continue with it once they found out training and discipline include beating their babies. This is just disgusting.

Going beyond child abuse - have you looked at their ideas on relationships and marriage? I read as much of an article as I could stomach regarding an abusive marriage and the biblical way to handle it. It makes me sick.

If that's the god Christians want me to follow, I'm even happier I'm pagan!

Mordric Kellin said...

I've asked women who follow the Pearls' way of life how they feel about the Pearls' views on the woman's status in a relationship.

As of this writing, I have received zero responses. ;)

Ravenheart said...

Perhaps they don't have their husband's permission ... or they're waiting another 15 years for said husband to get out of prison so the ladies can ask.

I'm sorry - I realize that's rather facetious, but when the recommendation to an abused wife is to call the cops and have her husband arrested, then wait 10 years until he gets out of prison so she can welcome him home with forgiveness and open arms, I take issue.

Maybe that's what the kids are suppose to think, too - they will just forgive Mom and Dad for beating the crap out of them until they "haven't a breath left to complain" and be fine with that.

TauRaven said...

RavenHeart...I am not in complete agreement with that ...I have found over the years that many of these people exist simply because they lack the ability to find the credence in their poor unriched hearts to see the child as a fellow member of the same society.... this becomes problematic in that these people tend to try to bend their own to their will without any regard for the fact that they just are individual humans ...just like the rest of us.

Anonymous said...

I'd like to think most parents following this system DO see their children as a member of the same society, and that they do have their children's best interests at heart - raising them up to behavior properly in that shared society.

I know only what I've read on the website and some of the links and don't know enough about long-term effects or what children raised with this method have to say about it. There's much I could speculate on, but don't feel qualified to give a (full) opinion based on so little.

I don't think its just NGJ that advocates the attempt to bend others to their own will. Take any system at its bare bones and tell someone it holds all the answers they'll ever need is ludicrous. Tell some that XZY system will work for every child/marriage/relationship is ridiculous.

Part of the joy of having children is the individuality of their growth, their personalities, watching them change and grow. I cannot imagine taking that individuality away from them.