Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Tuesday Twofur...

Welcome to the the blog where you can get two rants , and sometimes more, for the price of one. Blogs tend to come and go much like the proverbial winds of change, but it seems that the Rabid Religious Right hangs on to a form of life that border on being zombieish, if ya'll pardon the pun.

It seems that U.S.Congressman Paul Broun(Rethug-GA) has introduced a non-binding resolution(HR 121),that would declare 2010 as "The National Year of the Bible". Now my first reaction was that if good ole Ronnie Reagan already did that in 1983, would not redoing such a thing seem a tad silly or redudant? Thanks to my friends at FSTDT.net I will reprint a small portion of the resolution as written at Govtrack.us...CONCURRENT RESOLUTION

Encouraging the President to designate 2010 as ‘The National Year of the Bible’.

Whereas the Bible has had a profound impact in shaping America into a great Nation;

Whereas deep religious beliefs stemming from the Old and New Testament of the Bible have inspired Americans from all walks of life, especially the early settlers, whose faith, spiritual courage, and moral strength enabled them to endure intense hardships in this new land;

Whereas many of our Presidents have recognized the importance of God and the Bible, including George Washington; Franklin D. Roosevelt; Harry Truman; John F. Kennedy; Ronald Reagan, who declared 1983 as ‘The National Year of the Bible’; and especially Abraham Lincoln, whose 200th Birthday Celebration in 2009 highlighted freedom for the slaves;

Whereas shared Biblical beliefs unified the colonists and gave our early leaders the wisdom to write the Declaration of Independence and the Constitution of the United States, both of which recognized the inherent worth, dignity, and inalienable rights of each individual, thus unifying a diverse people with the right to vote, and the freedoms of speech and vast religious freedoms, which inspired courageous men like Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. to lead the Civil Rights Movement;

Whereas the Bible has been the world’s best selling book since it was first published in English in 1526, and has influenced more people than any other book;

Holy Crap, what a load of history revisionism, and that is the part I find frightening about this kind of crap. America, while questionably colonized by religious zealots, was in fact, thanks to the intelligence of our Founders, formed a secular society and it was ensured in the Constitition that it stay as such. One up front example of such revisionism is as follows..."

Whereas shared Biblical beliefs unified the colonists"... I fail to see any type of unification of beliefs between the Puritans and the Quakers, the two most common religious groups in 1600's of America,(that wasn't yet a country).

I have been a history nut for the vast majority of my life and I can't stand the pathetic attempts by people that are blind and ignorant, trying to reteach me the history I know to be true.I suppose I could be forgiving if it were a simple error but it is not, it is an attempt to usurp the rights of a free American people, in order to do the bidding of a select few of idiots and morons.( Those are code words for RR Rethuglicans).

Now for something really different, and this is a true "What the Fuck?" moment. O.K. I care about alot of the things President Obama does because it pertains in even a small way to me, but is there anyone short of a good grill cook that cares if he want Dijon mustard on his damned burger? I mean why is this something to bitch about, I am one of the poorer in the country and if I am out I will order that as well beause I absolutely despise yellow mustard ,(except on a hot dog at Sox Park, and I actually do not care for baseball). Not only do the pundits whine and cry about it they find that the fact he ordered it medium well instead of medium-rare to medium. For shits sake anyone that orders a medium rare buger from a fast diner is asking for a side of e.coli with their meal. It's just common sense folks , and lets hear it for those that use Dijon, or just brown mustard (similar) on their ground, medium-well meat patties.

On a parting thought my friends...

Civil disobedience, that’s not our problem. Our problem is that people are obedient all over the world in the face of poverty and starvation and stupidity, and war, and cruelty. Our problem is that people are obedient while the jails are full of petty thieves, and all the while the grand thieves are running the country. That's our problem.
~ Howard Zinn

Peace, Love, and Light to all...TR

2 comments:

MaryJayn said...

I have NO idea what your talkin about on this one!! As usual, I'm confused!! *dork* LoL

MaryJayn said...

Taking back My *dork* comment!! I love you and I am VERY lucky to have had a father like you growning up!!